UAE to try 41 on ‘terror’ charges

Abu Dhabi: The Public Prosecution has referred 41 men of various nationalities, including Emiratis, to the Federal Supreme Court on charges of setting up a terrorist organisation, Salem Saeed Kubaish, UAE’s Attoney General said on Sunday.“The defendants were charged with setting up and running a terrorist organisation named Shabab Al Manarah “The Minaret Youths” which upholds terrorist thought with the intent to terrorist acts inside the country and endanger its security and peace and lives of its people including their leaders,” Kubaish said in a statement carried by state news agency WAM.Kubaish assed that the suspects were also charged with intending to inflict damages to private and public properties to eventually take over authority to set up a so-called Caliphate State in line with their extremist thought.“To carry out their terrorist acts, the suspects procured fire arms, ammunitions and explosives necessary, using funds they collected for this purpose and got in touch with foreign terrorist organisations and groups. These groups provided these suspects with funds and people to achieve their goals inside the cpuntry,” Kubaish said.Convicted terrorists will face capital punishment, life imprisonment and fines of up to Dh100 million, according to a federal law to combat terrorism, which was endorsed last year.The law ushered in new security measures to counter a sweeping range of crimes deemed acts of terror at a time when international efforts are being mustered to fight the global menace.

Share